Published October 23, 2019 14:43
The Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa provides FREE support to 4,500 of children and youth from low income, at-risk neighbourhoods across the city. During critical after school hours, we give kids the opportunity to develop educational goals and commit to learning through the Homework Club Program.
Homework Club is a crucial program at all seven Clubhouse locations and for all ages. It offers a safe and supportive workplace where youth can access technology and get help from tutors and staff. Homework Club also delivers creative solutions to the challenges faced by many local communities, working with community partners to overcome language barriers, and increasing literacy through innovative techniques and collaborative partnerships, such as the Public Library.
A key component of the Homework Club is the Healthy Snacks program. Concentrating on school is difficult when you’re hungry, so each Homework Club session includes a healthy snack that gives members the fuel they need. With food in their bellies and a strong focus on literacy and numeracy, Homework Club gives students the resources, confidence and training to help them succeed in school and beyond.
Outcomes of Homework Club:
- 84% of Members stated the Homework Club has helped them feel like they can achieve anything
- 78% of respondents stated that the Boys and Girls Club has helped me improve my grades
- There was a 66% increase in those reporting completion of homework on time
- 71% reported an increase in math skills over the academic year
- 98% reported an increase in reading and writing skills over the academic year